The Original Resort - Wynndean - Ocean Grove
The original permit from Bellarine Shire Council was for the erection of "hutments" and during the first 12 months Jack demolished 8 pre-fabricated army huts from Darley Military Camp on the Lerderderg Gorge near Bacchus Marsh and transported them to Ocean Grove behind the kerosene powered Essex. (petrol rationing). Two army huts were transported by Alf Nunn from Snake Valley, from Darley and placed at 32 Orton St. to form a residence and office.
The 8 bungalows and several camping sites formed the basis of the original business "Wynndean Holiday Resort" and advertisements during 1947 boasted electric light, electric radios and controlled ventilation. (Flaps that opened!) Organized sports days were held for guests as well as flounder spearing nights and fishing trips on Swan Bay in the Resorts own fishing launch (Kingfisher).
Guests with a haul of fish caught spearing at night, 1950’s
A train engine (powered by an A model Ford engine), open carriages with a seating capacity of c.100 and tracks were purchased with the object of providing a service from Orton Street to the beach. Unfortunately the Shire did not approve of the project and the train rusted until it was sold during the late 50's.
Tariff in those days for a furnished bungalow during the summer school vacation was 2gns per week.
Jack and Audrey purchased additional blocks during the next few years to the amusement of some of the older locals who thought of the area as useless sand-hills and scrub. Indeed the area had long been used as a dumping ground for cattle carcasses.
No streets or tracks existed south of Orton Street and the Resort developed as a large contiguous area. "Breeze" from the Queenscliff Gas Works was carted by trailer to form tracks over the sand and a cutting was made through the sand-hills to the beach.
Much of the work was done by Frank Hose with his horse and scoop as well as Jack using a shovel and wheelbarrow (steel wheeled on planks of driftwood). The tar from the gasworks was used during the 50's to bitumenise the internal roads. Heated with a wood-fired copper and spread with watering cans!
Relocated army huts formed Wynndean’s office and residence, 1940’s